Second document in a series which concisely explores data relevant to the decarbonization of transport
After the publication of its factsheet (#1), which highlighted relevant data on climate change, Catavento now makes available its factsheet (#2) with relevant facts on electric mobility. The document seeks to bring essential information on the subject to leaders and decision makers.
Among the main messages, we can draw attention to the following ones:
1. The global fleet of electric cars showed a strong growth trend between 2015 and 2020 (CAGR 50%).
2. Europe surpassed China in electric car sales for the first time, with more than 1.4 million units sold in 2020.
3. Some factors explain the evolution of electric mobility globally, such as a 90% reduction in the cost of batteries, a 40% increase in available electric models and an increase in the number of countries with plans to ban sales of internal combustion vehicles.
4. Electric car sales tend to accelerate rapidly over the next decade, going from a 4.6% market share in 2020 to 36% in 2030.
5. Electric vehicles demand approximately 6 times more critical minerals than conventional vehicles, indicating a potential supply challenge in the next few years. Demand for lithium and nickel can grow 40 times by 2040.
6. Lithium-ion batteries were essential for the development of electric mobility, especially because of their energy density. Solid-state batteries are expected to further boost the penetration of electric vehicles in the future.
Download Factsheet #2 here.
Photo: CHUTTERSNAP via unsplash